Monday, 20 August 2012

Filofax inserts

I know a lot of the regular readers of Philofaxy bemoan the lack of choice of Filofax inserts and I am afraid I have to agree.

After enjoying using my personal aqua so much over the summer, I was looking into the possibility of continuing to use it come October when my MSc restarts. I am doing my MSc part time in between being a full time mum, looking after the house, etc, so I work on a weekly schedule. I know what I have to complete by the end of each week, but it's fair to say that my day-to-day schedules don't always end up panning out the way they're meant to! I have found the A5 time management inserts work perfectly for me - there's enough room on the daily diary for appointments, etc.; plenty of room for notes; and even space for important reminders and expense tracking. It's perfect! But it only comes in A5 size. Much as I adore my A5 imperial purple Finchley, it's not very portable and there is still something so appealing about an over-stuffed personal size filo that you can chuck in your bag and carry everywhere.

The only personal-size possibility for a weekly schedule like mine is the week to view with notes but this comes with my personal pet hate - multiple languages!! Why take a diary insert that's already small enough as it is, then clutter it up with 5 different languages? I just don't like it. I could of course use the wonderful templates from Ray and Steve, but I'm afraid I neither have the time nor the patience to print, guillotine and punch a year's worth of inserts.

It's such a shame that Filofax can't just get the basics right alongside trying to tempt the fashionistas with their £400 designer binders. Let's face it.  In a year's time when the Temperley crowd are looking for new, stylish, functional inserts on good quality paper to refill their designer binders, they're going to be extremely disappointed!

4 comments:

  1. I couldn`t agree more. And what REALLY gets my goat is charging 400 pounds for sub-standard binder that has been plagued with returns, when they don`t even have a decent range of inserts. I really doubt we will be seeing any Temperley binders for sale as vintage products in 20 years, heck, even in ten years. Yet Winchesters from the early 80s are still going strong, without problems. I despair of Filofax`s corporate strategy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're spot on, Paul. There seem to be more and more binders being sent out with faults these days :(

      Delete
  2. Great post! I too love my Personal Aqua Chameleon; I also have several A5's and I concur about the range of inserts. Would have been nice of them to offer more choices for 2013 but I won't hold my breath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, don't hold your breath! I picked up next year's TM inserts in staples but they're not on the Filofax website yet. Safe to say, Filofax's insert strategy seems to leave a lot to be desired!

      Delete