As you can see the training has worked pretty well, and although it doesn't quite lay flat it's a lot better than it was. I have set it up using the Filofax blank subject tabs which are great as they're so easy to change when you need to.
I have 9 sections! Travel info, Packing, Sightseeing, Timetables, Restaurants, Houses, Schedule, Other and Maps.
"Travel info" holds all the details on our flights and car parking - reference numbers, flight times, etc. It's an easy "go to" section for all the important information. I think "Packing" is probably self-explanatory too!!
For "Sightseeing" I have printed off some sheets containing all the details for places we might want to visit including address and phone number information, opening times and how far it is from where we're staying. The last thing I want to be doing on holiday is doing all this kind of research when we could be out and about!
"Timetables" holds train timetables in case we want to go out somewhere for the day without the car. National Rail have a great "print your own timetable" section which generates a PDF of your chosen route. This then makes it very easy to print direct on to Filofax paper.
"Restaurants" is similar to the "Sightseeing" section, with information of places nearby to eat and how far away they are. Again, handy to have when we're out and about and have a hungry toddler!
Part of the reason for our trip North is to have a look and see if we want to return to Scotland. So the "Houses" section has been set up with details of local estate agents and things we need to bear in mind when we're looking around. It's a big decision to make so we need to ensure that we've covered everything on this trip to enable us to make a decision.
The "Schedule" section contains 3 sheets of a standard WO2P Filofax diary so I can record who we're meeting and when. Our trips North are so infrequent that invariably we have lots of friends and family we want to try and meet up with, so keeping track is important!
"Other" is a kind of catch-all for everything else that I need to capture. While we're up in Scotland it's my birthday, my son's birthday and my parents' Golden Wedding anniversary, so we have some parties and bits and pieces that need organising.
Finally there's the "Map" section with a few key maps printed out. These have just been printed from Google maps then punched and folded to fit in the Filofax. Although they stick out a bit, it's not too bad and I've put them at the back of the binder so they're out of the way.
As you can see, even with all this information the binder is still looking beautiful and isn't in the least over-stuffed! It really is the perfect sized binder to set-up for this kind of thing. Look out for a post-holiday review on how the binder managed "in the field"!










Lovely post. When are you coming home to Scotland? I'm in Cumbernauld so not too far from you :)
ReplyDeleteI like what you did with the google maps. I will try this idea out for my own travel binder. Thanks!
ReplyDelete