Following on from the comments on my post about Filofax focus groups, I thought we could create our own little focus group, gather some comments and send them to Filofax!
Fashion is useless if the binder isn't also utilitarian. Also, poor quality work is really unacceptable and will continue to drive away the core market if it is not remedied.
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment but I would tell them that forging an alliance with Dodo Pad 3/4 years ago (when we suggested such a thing to them) MIGHT have been a better move for them than sticking to high fashion and what appears to be questionable quality in relation to those very high priced items. I think they've succeeded in partially alienating many of the people who fill their coffers on the most regular basis. #justsaying
PS. I use Lilac Chameleon A5 binder complete with my trusty Dodo Pad diary insert...of course! (and have used a Filofax in at least 2 shapes and sizes for the past 30 years...not that I'm extinct yet...
I have tried, boy have I tried very hard to get some form of dialogue going with Filofax, direct, via Letts Diaries, via SlamPR... all I get is a polite 'we will pass on your comments' and then nothing.
It's as if they have their heads stuck in the sand... or where the sun doesn't shine... and they seem to think they know better and what do we know about the market in general.
I don't like to rubbish the company, any company (unless they really deserve it) or anybody personally, but their attitude is pushing the boundaries of my patience I know....
What would I want to tell them? 'Listen to what the Philofaxy readers want' They are a large group of people, growing larger every week. 1 million page views in 8 months does not appear from just 2 dozen people!!!
Yes, you would think they would want to listen to AND follow suggestions from their "core" users to better their chances of increased sales if nothing else.........
I would echo Steve and Ray and add the following observations: 1. everyone, and I mean EVERYONE says the filofax paper sucks 2. people using filofaxes do so because they enjoy the tactile sensation of writing, so having crap paper is a bad business move 3. many filofax users are not in the slightest bit interested in fashion 4. many people in fashion are not in the slightest bit interested in filofax 5. the Venn diagram for fashion and filofaxes has the two overlapping in a REALLY small segment 6. the Venn diagram involving filofax users and people who like good quality has a MASSIVE overlapping segment 7. current filofax quality, both of binders and paper is less than great 8. the brand USED to be synonymous with quality. It now isn't and I am struggling to think what its unique selling point is
I concur with all of the above. Well said everyone. I almost feel like they lack the basic communication (listening and feedback) skills that we've all had drilled into us over the extent of our professional careers. Basic communication skills. Listening. To the customer. Business 101. Sheesh!
I totally agree too. Filofax is a mature product in a slowly declining market. Yes, they need to change and look at new ways to reinvent themselves, but surely not by alienating their core, loyal and high spending, existing customer base.
As a Filofax customer, both the USA an the France online site, I think the corporation is "missing the boat" when they refuse a meaningful exchange with the Philofaxy group. I personally have spent almost $2,000. on Filofax binders, diaries and paper. If you multiply the hundreds of us who have also spent a great deal of money, we make up a large consumer group. How can their marketing or publicity departments blow that off? Listen to your customers, Filofax--/or you could end up a company like Franklin Planners, whose mishandling of their organizer customer's needs, turned them into a company that sells third party products and decorated fillers.
Many of us have no interest in fashion. The current marketing theme linking Filofax and fashion risks driving us away.
ReplyDeleteAgreed. Although I have some interest in fashion, I'm not trying to handle it with my Filofax. That has its own, separate, purpose.
DeleteFashion is useless if the binder isn't also utilitarian. Also, poor quality work is really unacceptable and will continue to drive away the core market if it is not remedied.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment but I would tell them that forging an alliance with Dodo Pad 3/4 years ago (when we suggested such a thing to them) MIGHT have been a better move for them than sticking to high fashion and what appears to be questionable quality in relation to those very high priced items. I think they've succeeded in partially alienating many of the people who fill their coffers on the most regular basis. #justsaying
ReplyDeletePS. I use Lilac Chameleon A5 binder complete with my trusty Dodo Pad diary insert...of course! (and have used a Filofax in at least 2 shapes and sizes for the past 30 years...not that I'm extinct yet...
DeleteI have tried, boy have I tried very hard to get some form of dialogue going with Filofax, direct, via Letts Diaries, via SlamPR... all I get is a polite 'we will pass on your comments' and then nothing.
ReplyDeleteIt's as if they have their heads stuck in the sand... or where the sun doesn't shine... and they seem to think they know better and what do we know about the market in general.
I don't like to rubbish the company, any company (unless they really deserve it) or anybody personally, but their attitude is pushing the boundaries of my patience I know....
What would I want to tell them? 'Listen to what the Philofaxy readers want' They are a large group of people, growing larger every week. 1 million page views in 8 months does not appear from just 2 dozen people!!!
Sorry... rant over...
Steve
Yes, you would think they would want to listen to AND follow suggestions from their "core" users to better their chances of increased sales if nothing else.........
DeleteI would echo Steve and Ray and add the following observations:
ReplyDelete1. everyone, and I mean EVERYONE says the filofax paper sucks
2. people using filofaxes do so because they enjoy the tactile sensation of writing, so having crap paper is a bad business move
3. many filofax users are not in the slightest bit interested in fashion
4. many people in fashion are not in the slightest bit interested in filofax
5. the Venn diagram for fashion and filofaxes has the two overlapping in a REALLY small segment
6. the Venn diagram involving filofax users and people who like good quality has a MASSIVE overlapping segment
7. current filofax quality, both of binders and paper is less than great
8. the brand USED to be synonymous with quality. It now isn't and I am struggling to think what its unique selling point is
Okay. Rant over.
:-)
I concur with all of the above. Well said everyone. I almost feel like they lack the basic communication (listening and feedback) skills that we've all had drilled into us over the extent of our professional careers. Basic communication skills. Listening. To the customer. Business 101. Sheesh!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree too. Filofax is a mature product in a slowly declining market. Yes, they need to change and look at new ways to reinvent themselves, but surely not by alienating their core, loyal and high spending, existing customer base.
ReplyDeleteAs a Filofax customer, both the USA an the France online site, I think the corporation is "missing the boat" when they refuse a meaningful exchange with the Philofaxy group. I personally have spent almost $2,000. on Filofax binders, diaries and paper. If you multiply the hundreds of us who have also spent a great deal of money, we make up a large consumer group. How can their marketing or publicity departments blow that off?
ReplyDeleteListen to your customers, Filofax--/or you could end up a company like Franklin Planners, whose mishandling of their organizer customer's needs, turned them into a company that sells third party products and decorated fillers.